Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WIP Wednesday #26

I feel like I haven't done a WIP post in forever, but it's only been three weeks since my last one. Between Thanksgiving and working I haven't gotten a whole lot done.

I have been steadily working on my Old Italian project. It is very time consuming. My mom and I took the class together, and she has decided to not do it. She didn't like the process. I've already invested a lot of time and money into this project--so I'm pushing forward with it. I've got a pile of about 20 blocks halfway done plus all these:
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Old Italian Quilt, Blue & White Quilt
Old Italian Quilt in Progress

Isn't it fun to lay out what you've accomplished? I can visualize what the final project will look like. Plus, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

The day after Thanksgiving, I didn't go shopping. Instead, I sat at my sewing machine and did all these for my Pocket Full of Pinwheels:
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt
Pinwheels

I don't like the layout in the picture above, although it was fun to see all the different pinwheels I've made. This picture does give me an idea of what I've got and what I still need to make to fill holes. It's also helping me think of different layouts I want to try.

One of the pinwheels I made was this 3D pinwheel. It was surprisingly easy to make as well as fun, so I made quite a few. It was crazy how many layers of fabric I had to sew through...I was afraid I would break my needle. There are 12 layers of fabric at the center of the pinwheel. 
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt
3D Pinwheel

My favorite pinwheel block is this one:
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt
Pinwheels

This has been an interesting project. This is basically an Orphan Block type quilt--Taking a bunch of different blocks and throwing them together to make a quilt. 

I've always done quilts from a set pattern. Yes, I've made my own little adjustments here and there. But this is the first one I've done where so much is left to me and my own devices. It is a lot of fun to create so much.

Linked up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced here.
Linked up to Show Off  Saturday here.
Linked up with Quilt Story here.

6 comments:

Allison said...

I love the Old Italian project - those navy florals are beautiful, and I love the value play in your layout.

Allison said...

I really like your Old Italian Project, the classic colours and design work so well together - definitely worth completing. Your blue pinwheel block is a beauty too!

Allison said...

What a shame that your mom dropped out. Those blue blocks are so pretty! And your pinwheels are awesome! Glad to hear you are having sew much fun with those!

Allison said...

Thanks Lisa. I'm loving the Old Italian project. I'm having so much fun finding navy fabrics.

Allison said...

Hi Karen,


Thanks so much. I'm loving the navy and indigo blues. I might have gone a little overboard in all the fabric I bought for it.


The pinwheel project is sure a lot of fun to do. I'm so happy with how my blue 3D pinwheel turned out.

Allison said...

Hi Lorna,


I'm kinda bummed my mom decided to not make the quilt. She picked out completely different fabric than me, and I was looking forward to seeing hers. It would have been fun to work on these together...but oh well. So goes life.

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg