Monday, December 9, 2013

Chess Tournament

Saturday, the boys and I spent the day at a chess tournament. 

S before a game

The boys had a real good time. The last game C played, I could see him laughing and smiling throughout the entire game. He was still laughing and chatting with his opponent as he left the table even though he lost. 

Both boys did well winning some and losing some. The best part is that they had a lot of fun. One of the greatest chess players ever, Capablanca, said, "You may learn much more from a game you lose than from a game you win. You will have to lose hundreds of games before becoming a good player." 

S earned a medal

C narrowly missed out on a trophy by one place.

I've started to volunteer at the school's after-school 4H program teaching chess. It has been a lot of fun. Half of the club came to the chess tournament. I loved seeing my kids there, meeting their parents, and watching them play. I'm not a grandmaster by any means, but it is so fun to teach the basics to these kids and see them play. 


No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg