Wednesday, June 5, 2013

WIP Wednesday #9 - My Little Pink Dress

Another QuiltFest Project.
There are many activities and fundraisers at the Utah Quilt Guild's Annual Quilt Festival. Last week I showed off the quilt block I made for the "Save the Boobies" fundraiser. This week, I've been working on a mini quilt. The perimeter can be no larger than 80". People make whatever suits their fancy and donate them. Then, festival attendees can buy raffle tickets to win the one they like.

Originally, I was going to do this design as a block for the "Save the Boobies" fundraiser. I was VERY excited to do it. However, when I looked closer at the instructions for the "Save the Boobies," I discovered one was supposed to make a FLOWER block. So, this dress pattern I found wasn't going to fulfill the requirement. My mom suggest I still do it, but turn it into a mini quilt. I've never done a mini quilt, but thought I'd give it a go. Besides, it's small so it supposed to take less time.

I found this pattern on Pintrest. It's actually a paper folding technique called Iris Folding.  Instead of using paper, I just used fabric. I used the same fabric I purchased for the "Save the Boobies" fundraiser. I just really like it.  Once I paper pieced the dress, I had to reverse appliqué it onto the backing. 

This is me pinning things in place to make sure the dress I pieced is in the correct place. I had the pattern (white paper) there to help with the placement.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - My Little Pink Dress Quilt
My Little Pink Dress Quilt

 I then appliquéd a small square next to the dress, which will be the purse.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - My Little Pink Dress Quilt
My Little Pink Dress Quilt
My next step is to sew beads onto the purse for the purse strap and purse flap. I'll sew on beads along the neckline of the dress as well. I've already have fabric for the back of the quilt and thread to machine quilt it. I just haven't figured out how to fix my tension problem on my machine when I try to free motion quilt. 
One thing at a time.

No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg