Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Dresden Plate & Trapunto

I have always loved the Dresden Plate. It is classic and timeless. It's been on my radar since the beginning of my Quilting Life (QL)--That's a term, right?

At Quilt Fest, I took an amazing class on the Dresden Plate pattern.  I loved this class for so many reasons. First, the teacher was kind, patient, encouraging, and so helpful. Second, our teacher took us through the entire process of making a Dresden Plate quilt. We learned how to assemble the "plate," how to appliqué it on a block, how to quilt it, how to do trapunto in the negative space, how to piece the border, how to finish it with a piping border. I now have all the pieces I need to create my own Dresden Plate Quilt.

I cut 2-1/2" strips from my 30's reproduction fabrics for the fans and purchased some Kona Cotton for the green blades in the design. Overall, I was really happy with how it turned out. 

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Dresden Plate Quilt Block
Dresden Plate Sampler

It was fun to see everyone's individual choices. We put up everyone's blocks on the wall to take a picture. My favorite is the red and blue in the bottom right-hand corner. So adorable, fresh and modern.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Dresden Plate Quilt Block


Have you ever tried Trupunto? I've heard about it, and many people would say "Oh, it's so easy! You just yada yada yada and you're done!" I'd get lost in the "yada yada yada" part of their breezy explanation. In this class, we went through all the steps to create trupunto quilting, and it actually really is so easy. However, I had to do it for myself to really understand it. 

For those wondering, Trapunto is a method of quilting where you have a stuffed, puffy, decorative feature producing a raised surface on the quilt.

Here is my practice piece.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Trapunto


Can you tell that the feather is stuffed and raised?
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Trapunto
Trapunto

Now I'm in contemplation mode. Do I continue with these color choices?  Do I change the color of the blade from green to a 30's black print? Or do I do something more modern?

I do like the idea of having some hand work to take with me or to work on while watching TV with the family. This will be a long-term project for sure.


Linked up with Let's Bee Social here.
Linked up with WIP Wednesday here.
Linked up with Needle and Thread Thursday here.

No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg