Monday, June 15, 2009

A Recipe Coup!

I have been after my Grandmother's wheat bread recipe for years! I love my sister Leslie who has Grandma's old recipe box, but it has been hard to get it from her because, well, she has a life! Well, while I was in California visiting, I managed to "borrow" the box of recipes and took it to my other sister Stephanie's. Steph and I spent a couple of hours scanning the entire box of recipes. We now have over a hundred scans we need to type out of all of Grandma's recipes for all her favorite things! She had recipes for everything. I'm so excited! I was able to return the box to Leslie as promised, and now I have the wheat bread recipe. Score! Leslie, Stephanie, and I have all sorts of grand ideas about what to do with the recipes, but we'll see what comes of it. I would like to get them all typed up and put together for all the family. We all have some favorite recipe and fond memories of sitting in grandma's kitchen. I remember Grandma making mini loaves for David and I when we came to visit, so we had our very own loaf of bread. Looking back, she probably did that so that we didn't eat all the bread. So without any further ado, (drum roll please) here is grandma's recipe as written down.

Bread 50-50

10 Cups White Flour 3/4 Cup Sugar
12 Cups Whole Wheat Flour 1 Can Milk
2 Tlbsn Dry Yeast
6 Tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Shortening
2 Quarts Liquid (Water, Milk, or both)

Combine all ingredients and mix with hands until all flour is mixed in and will form a ball.

No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg