Friday, September 20, 2013

FMQ Friday #3 - Learning Spirals

I've been wanting to learn how to FMQ Spirals. Ultimately, I want to quilt part of my baby boy boat quilt with spirals around the sails to look like wind. But I have to learn how to do it before I can attempt to quilt it on my finished top. 

So, first step was to doodle it. I then tried quilting it, but wasn't happy with the results. I consulted the instructional video here

This is what I got:
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Learning Spirals
1st Attempt at Spirals
It's hard to reconcile the results with the image I have in my head. I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm just beginning. 

 

With that in mind, I found a great tutorial that really has made a difference for me. 
SewCalGal has a Free Motion Quilting Challenge I stumbled upon thanks to Pinterest. She has one specifically for learning how to do spirals with printouts to practice on. I love this!

She advocates learning to do swirls in a row to learn the motion and general concept. It helped me a lot.

I printed out her practice sheets where I can trace the shape and then try on my own.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Learning Spirals
Learning Spirals
 I'd take it with me to doodle on while I waited for the kids at school pick-up or to doodle on while chatting with my sister on the phone, etc. 

I finally decided I needed to try with needle and thread. I was anxious to give it a go.
I drew grid lines onto fabric to mimic the paper I practiced on.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Learning Spirals
Learning Spirals

Here is my first test with this method.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Learning Spirals
Learning Spirals
I have to say, I like this second organized attempt better than my first willy-nilly attempt. It was easy to see what I need to work on and focus on. 

I'm going to practice a lot more before I make any attempts on my finished pieced quilt top. 

Post a Comment
 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg